The President-Elect shall preside at all Association functions in the absence of the President; serve as the chairperson of the Awards and Recognition Committee; prior to installation as President appoint incoming committee chairs, and perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by either the President or the Governing Council. The President-Elect shall be elected at the annual conference for a three-year commitment of service, which includes one year in each of the offices of President-Elect, President and Past President. Shall serve on the SEAHO Budget Review Committee.
Director of Residential Life and Housing | Virginia Commonwealth University
SEAHO and the housing profession have given me so much over the years. I started my career in housing as a loud (and, some would say, rowdy) freshman in Harvill Hall at Austin Peay State University (APSU). During my first semester, I was elected as Hall Council President and thus, my housing career officially began. I went on to work as both a Resident Assistant and Hall Director at APSU before pursing my Master’s degree at Mississippi State University (MSU). After two years in housing at MSU, I landed my first professional position as Residence Life Coordinator at Wake Forest University. After cutting my teeth as an entry level professional, I transitioned into an Assistant Director role at Florida State University. I stayed in this position for five years until 2014, when I started a new adventure as Senior Associate Director of Residential Life at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). This exciting opportunity gave me the chance to provide leadership to a dynamic residence life team. This year I have had the opportunity to take on a new role at VCU. Most recently, I transitioned to Director of Residential Life & Housing. In this new Senior Housing Officer (SHO) role at VCU, I have been given the opportunity to provide overall leadership and management for a department serving 5,300 residents. I feel fortunate to say that I have been professionally raised in the land of SEAHO. I have worked in housing programs in five of the ten states within our region. Each of these experiences has helped me gain valuable housing knowledge and has extended my professional network and involvement.
Housing Association Experience:
- Past SEAHO Conference Coordinator, 2017-Present
- ACUHO-I Exhibits Committee, 2009-Present
- Conference Hosting Manual Task Force, Chair 2017-2018
- Regional Entry Level Institute (RELI) Faculty Member, 2017
- SEAHO 2019-2021 Site Selection Team, 2015-2017
- SEAHO Nominations Committee, 2014-2015
- SEAHO Corporate Partners Committee Chair, 2012-2014
- SEAHO Annual Conference Host Committee, 2013, 2014
- SEAHO Awards Committee Member 2008-2012
- SEAHO Conference Planning Task Force, 2011-2012
- National Housing Training Institute (NHTI), 2011
- ACUHO-I STARS College Committee, 2008-2014
- Advisor Recognition and Training (ART) Certification, 2009
- North Carolina Housing Officers Host Committee, 2008
- SEAHO Graduate Issues and Involvement Committee, 2007-2008
- Regional Entry Level Institute (RELI) Participant, 2007
As I reflect on my professional journey, I think about the mentors, supervisors, and teams that I have worked with over the years. I believe that people make the difference in an organization and that our work in SEAHO is driven by the people who support it. The opportunity to serve as the SEAHO President would allow me to continue to serve and reflect on the many components that impact our region and profession, including:
- What can we do to better align our resources within SEAHO?
- What new programs or practices can we learn to take back to our campus?
- How do we help members grow in the various stages of their career (entry-level, midlevel, and senior level roles) within housing?
- How can we increase SEAHO membership from schools within the region?
- How can we continue to increase communication and involvement amongst our membership?
- How can we enhance and expand our relationships with Corporate Partners?
- How can we live out SEAHO’s vision of being the leading resource for the higher education housing industry in the southeast?
As President, I will use the mission, vision, values, and diversity statement of SEAHO to help in answering these important questions. I will make use of the relationship and resources of ACUHO-I to inform my work as President. But mainly, I will utilize our greatest resource to work through these questions….all of you. I look forward to working through our SEAHO 2014-2019 strategic plan and helping lay the ground work for our next SEAHO five year strategic plan. I am a firm believer that you get out of an organization what you are willing to put into it. I have worked to serve SEAHO over the years and hope I have done so successfully. I hope to be able to continue to serve you in the role of President. I have always considered SEAHO to be my professional home. I hope that together we can continue to help make it your professional home as well. I am truly humbled and honored to be a candidate for President and thank you for your consideration.
Associate Director - Housing Operations, Assignments, Conference Services | North Carolina State University
It is a true honor to be considered as a candidate for the position as SEAHO President-Elect. SEAHO has been my primary home for professional development for almost 20 years and it continues to be a place that challenges me, supports me and encourages me in my professional journey. I have worked within the SEAHO region for more than 25 years and over the years I have been actively involved with both SEAHO and the Virginia Association for College and University Housing Officers (VACUHO). SEAHO has afforded me many opportunities to grow professionally over the years and the opportunity to serve as President-Elect will allow me to give back to the organization that has given me so much and in a much greater role.
Over the years I have eagerly sought out ways to serve SEAHO including mentoring young professionals and presenting programs at 12 different SEAHO conferences. Below are some highlights of my involvements with SEAHO and VACUHO:
- SEAHO 2018 Host Committee - Budget
- SEAHO Director of State Representatives, February 2014-2016
- SEAHO 2013 Conference Coordinator
- SEAHO Conference Hosting Task Force, 2010-2011
- SEAHO Program Committee, 2007-2009 (Chair, 2009); 2017
- SEAHO Technology Coordinator, 2006-2008
- SEAHO Webmaster, 2000-2006
- SEAHO Conference Host Committee, 2000 and 2010
- Virginia State Representative and Editor, SEAHO, 1999-2001
- VACUHO Awards and Recognition Chair, 2002-2004
- VACUHO Past President/Conference Co-Chair, 2001-2002
- VACUHO President, 2000-2001
If given the opportunity to take on this new challenge I will make every effort to make a positive difference for SEAHO as well as each individual I have the opportunity to work with. It would be my goal as President to help SEAHO to challenge, support and encourage its members and member institutions throughout the year and not just at the annual conference. I will be an active and involved member of the SEAHO Executive Board and will help in any way I can to build on the strong organizational foundation that is already in place. Thank you for considering me as a candidate for President-Elect.
Director of Housing | Middle Tennessee State University
I want to begin by sharing that I am honored and humbled by the nomination to serve as President-Elect of SEAHO. It would be an amazing opportunity for me to give back to an organization that has done so much for me personally and professionally.
I began my involvement with SEAHO in 1997 when I attended my first conference. The energy of giving back to this organization that gives so much to its professionals was immediately felt, so I joined my first committee that year and have loved being involved ever since. I have been able to serve SEAHO and this profession through many opportunities, including these highlighted below.
Housing Association Experience:
- TACUHO Secretary/Treasurer 1997-2000
- TACUHO State Representative 2000-2003
- TACUHO President/Conference Co-Chair 2007-2008
- SEAHO 2002 Conference Registration Co-Chair
- SEAHO Educational Programming Co-Chair 2007-2008
- SEAHO Outreach Coordinator 2008-2009
- SEAHO 2012 Conference Co-Chair
- SEAHO 2016 Conference Committee Budget Chair
My experience with SEAHO over the past 21 years has shown me that it is an ever-evolving organization that is always looking for better ways to serve its constituents. The leaders and the membership of this organization have never been satisfied with status quo and are always looking for new ways to push this organization forward. If elected, I would be determined to continue this trend and would specifically focus on the following areas:
- Growing SEAHO’s commitment to yearlong engagement of its membership.
- Financial policies and management that ensures viability of the organization and continued advancement.
- Developing avenues for support of the different levels of professionals within SEAHO.
- Continue the implementation and assessment of the Strategic Plan. This living document requires our continual review to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our Association.
To say that it would be a privilege to serve the organization in this capacity is an understatement. I would be excited to serve the organization in this role and I would tackle the opportunity with commitment and dedication.